Fridays for the Future is a global climate strike movement that started in August 2018, when 15-year-old Greta Thunberg began a school strike for climate.
Today the goals are:
- Keep the global temperature rise below 1.5 °C compared to pre-industrial levels.
- Ensure climate justice and equity.
- Listen to the best united science currently available.
- End the Enbridge Line 5 oil pipeline under the Straits of Mackinac
- Get renewable energy in every part of Michigan (like Bay County)
- Vote for rational thinking people on this issue
The Climate Action Friday event in downtown Midland on Friday, October 2, 2020 will be entirely outdoors. Wearing a mask and social distancing will both be observed to ensure the safety of both participants and spectators.
Bring a sign that reflects your own feelings about the worsening climate change. Or carry one of ours. Our goal is simple! To demand attention and importance be paid to the critical climate emergency by our elected officials and fellow citizens.
We will gather at 5:30pm in the Tridge parking lot at the foot of McDonald St. and march to the Midland County Building and then to Midland City Hall.
At each location we will request local government leaders increase their support for renewable energy and conservation. Also we would like them to implement policies that end the burning of carbon.
Will you and your family or friends be joining us on Friday? Email [email protected] if you have questions or can volunteer to help organize our next climate emergency march in Saginaw on October 9.
CC Climate ActionFriday image courtesy of Tommi Boom, Flickr.