The Michigan GOP Legislature has introduced a package of voter suppression bills that would restrict our freedom to vote and disproportionately affect Black, brown, and poorer voters. These bills propose to:
– Require a photocopy of ID with an absentee ballot application.
– Prevent Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson from sending absentee ballot applications to voters.
– Ban clerks from providing prepaid postage for mail-in ballots.
– Limit the power of large Board of Canvassers by increasing the size to 6 or 8 canvassers and requiring only 2 or 3 members from the same party to block action, threatening the ability to certify elections in the future.
For more information about these bills please visit: michigandems.com/protectmivote/
Governor Gretchen Whitmer has vowed to veto these bills, but it won’t end there. The GOP has a loophole they can exploit. All they need is 340,000 signatures on a petition which will kick it back to the legislature where they can pass it with a simple majority, and it will be veto proof from the governor! There is an ongoing lawsuit to end this loophole, and there will be lawsuits if/when the GOP manages to pass these heinous bills, but we need you to do your part too!
Here’s what we need:
– Call Rep. Annette Glenn and Senator Jim Stamas and demand they vote NO on these bills!
– Call Rep. John Moolenaar, Senator Debbie Stabenow, and Senator Gary Peters and demand they pass legislation to prevent voter suppression in the states and establish independent redistricting commissions nationwide to prevent gerrymandering.
– Educate our communities about these bills and stop the GOP from achieving those 340,000 signatures. Talk to your friends and neighbors and ask them to #DeclineTheSign!
The GOP is relentless in its efforts to maintain power. It’s exhausting, but if we want to save our democracy we have to be relentless as well. Thank you for your efforts and support. We couldn’t do this without you!
#ProtectMIVote #DeclinetheSign #DenyTheSign